Can You Take Modafinil Every Day? Is Modafinil Safe for Long Term Use?
Modafinil Tolerance: Modafinil is an FDA approved prescription medication available under the brand name Provigil, used to improve wakefulness in patients who experience various types of sleeping disorders such as narcolepsy, shift work sleep disorder, or obstructive sleep apnea.
Modafinil can be used by people who want to stay awake for work, improve their cognitive responses, or enhance their moods. However, when you have a drug for too long, there is a chance that your body develops Modafinil tolerance.
Are you planning to take Modafinil for the same reasons and wish to understand how often you can take this medication?
Most studies indicate that Modafinil is safe to take on a long-term basis; however, you must consult a physician before undertaking a new drug regime. However, you risk your exposure to Modafinil tolerance, abuse, or dependence, if you take this drug without a proper prescription.
This medication belongs to a class of drugs known as wakefulness-promoting agents that affect the brain’s natural chemicals that control sleep. It works pretty similar to amphetamines like other psychostimulants like Adderall and Ritalin.
How can Modafinil be taken?
Modafinil is an oral medication to be taken daily before and after meals, at the same time. Always consult your physician prior to making any changes to your treatment regime. You must follow all the directions on the prescription label and adhere to all the instructions of your doctor’s advice. Consult a doctor even if you want to discontinue the medication.
Modafinil may be addictive, hence avoid changing your dosage or take more than the advised course of time.
How can you develop Modafinil tolerance?
- According to a study by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), drug tolerance happens when a person takes a drug for so long that their body gets used to its presence. Once the drug tolerance develops, the drug does not cause the same effects.
In this case, Modafinil tolerance means that improved wakefulness, elevated mood, and intensified awareness do not occur as strongly as it should. Thus, the effect of the prescribed dosage of Modafinil is diminished.
- According to the European Medicine Agency’s pharmacovigilance database, there are over 485 reports of modafinil tolerance, misuse, abuse, or dependence between 1999 and 2007.
It is reported that people who abuse Modafinil without a prescription or take long-term prescriptions face a greater risk of developing a tolerance to the drug.
- Some studies have not found any evidence of modafinil tolerance at therapeutic doses of about a 12-month prescription period. About 70 percent of participants needed to increase their dosage to receive the same effects as the initial prescription intended.
- According to a 2009 report on the potentials for Modafinil tolerance and abuse indicated that the occurrences of modafinil abuse are rare because this drug was not snorted or injected into the patient to get high. However, one cannot say for sure, as there is not much clinical evidence that proves otherwise.
- Another report on modafinil tolerance and addiction indicated that, like other prescription medications, slow tapering of the Modafinil has helped to put an end to the physical experience of dependence and tolerance.
It would be wise to keep in mind that Modafinil may be seen as a type of medication that may not cause an overdose or addiction. However, a small chance of overdose remains.
Risks of Modafinil Tolerance
As mentioned earlier, a relapse of Modafinil abuse or continuation of abuse as the body develops modafinil tolerance can increase modafinil overdose. Some overdose symptoms are restlessness, agitation, hallucinations, paranoia, and nausea if you happen to notice anyone suffer a Modafinil overdose, call 911 for immediate medical assistance as the condition can be potentially fatal.
Overcoming Modafinil Tolerance
Suppose you are taking Modafinil as prescribed by your doctor. In that case, you have nothing to fear as you are less developed Modafinil tolerance than those people misusing the drug or without a prescription.
Those of you who develop Modafinil tolerance will need to consult with their doctor when they begin to feel like they need to increase their dosage to treat their medical condition.
Some doctors recommend taking regular breaks from certain drugs or medication to ensure that your body gets some rest from the body’s interaction with the medication. However, you need a doctor’s approval to break away from the medication regime.
People who are struggling with abuse of Modafinil would need help from an addiction specialist. At the same time, they may exhibit a few physical withdrawal symptoms associated with quitting Modafinil. A rehabilitation program is the one thing that offers behavioral therapy to manage these compulsive behaviors around psychoactive substances.
When it comes to taking any prescription drug, especially a psychostimulating one like Modafinil, you need to exercise caution and follow your prescription exactly as instructed by the doctor, not more not less.
If you see, you are experiencing Modafinil tolerance, get help from your doctor rather than assume and increase the dosage. This can lead to adverse effects on your health! After all, it is better to be safe than sorry.